Monday, July 9, 2007

Depth

How do you know that you or anyone else has depth to them? I read a fair number of blogs, but one has been irritating me lately for no real reason. I don't want to describe it. But, suffice it to say, that it is someone that did not make a good first impression to me. And now I am trying to figure out why because I think that I am being reactionary.

Is it because s/he really is a bit pompous? Is it pompous to discuss issues? Are my own feelings of self-worth creeping in and colouring my perception?

I would very much like to know whether my gut reaction is to be trusted.

3 comments:

IsmaelTapiaII said...

I say trust your gut. Remember in school when they would tell you that, on multiple choice tests, you should always pick the first one you thought was correct rather than talk yourself into a different answer? I operate on the same principle with people--if the first impression leaves me with a seriously bad taste in my mouth, then I'm out. Sure, you can always recover from a moderately bad first impression, but if I think you're a douchebag right off, you're done.

Some of my friends have pointed out that maybe I've missed out on awesome people this way. That might be true, but I've also eliminated the annoyance of having douchebags in my life, and I'll take that trade any day.

I say trust your gut and act accordingly.

PT-LawMom said...

Is it pompous to discuss issues? I'm not sure what you mean by "issues." My blog discusses issues in the sense that I blog a lot on immigration and parent/work-life issues, but I also blog on law school and everyday life. Who knows? It could even be my blog you're talking about, esp. if you aren't pro-immigrant (I got lots of hate mail). ;) I say that if you don't like it, don't read it. Would you keep reading a book you hated? Hang around a person you hated? Then why read their blog?

Eliza said...

pt-lawmom, definitely not you. No, it's not pompous to discuss issues, such as current events etc. I guess I was asking myself that when I was having such a bad reaction. And I don't read that blog any more. It was more an attempt to look at my reaction and what seemed to cause it.