Friday, July 11, 2008

Taking a stab at networking

The worst part of job hunting for me is that I do not have a network here. We have been moving so much that I have lost touch with many folks. But now that we know that we want to settle here, I am making the effort to "network" which is just a fancy way of saying "meeting people."

1. Join the ABA and your local chapter. You are then can use the websites with abandon. You will be able to find out information about different fields of law. Plus the Bar Associations have sections for these different fields of law. Pay attention to who is on the board.

2. Do something that you are interested in. Yes, it takes time, but do it any way. For instance, I joined 2 organizations. You will not make contacts immediately but it shows that you are interested in the area, are an interesting multi-dimensional person.

3. Talk to attorneys. As many as you possibly can. Make appointments. DO NOT ASK FOR A JOB. The point is to find out more about the law. And the role you will eventually play. And the work itself.

4. Talk to other students. And don't just bitch about school. Get to know your colleagues. I found out that I am always talking about law school and I was actually boring myself to death. Just imagine what I was doing to everyone around me. Now that I realize that, I am making an effort to ask everyone what they are doing outside of law school, what their lives were like prior to law school, etc. And I have found out some interesting things.

5. Finally, if your friends talk about their friends that are in the law, ask to be introduced or ask if you can contact the friend.

Well, that's all for now. Oh, one more thing. Go to your career service office and ask for names of alumni that would be open to being contacted. They might just be useful.

No comments: