Saturday, February 6, 2010

In Our Long Struggle...We Cannot Forget The Right To Go Shoeless

I was thinking about this the other day. It came up because I am always amazed at someone that goes barefoot in winter. I do not have the same reaction as other. It doesn't bother me. I just keep thinking "brrrrrr." It probably doesn't bother me b/c I actually hate shoes. I couldn't wait for summer for when I could ditch the shoes. Now I rather like shoes. I don't wear the ones I really like because I would kill myself in them (falling, etc).

But I digress. I found, while meandering on the internet, this interesting appellate case affirming summary judgment for the defendant.

Essentially, Pl sued for being tossed out of a library for being barefoot. His argument at the appellate level is that this was a violation of his 1st, 9th, and 14th Amendment rights (the least laughable was the at the ban was a violation of the right to receive information). This case went from a state court, removed to federal district court, and then to an appellate court. Because the guy wanted to go barefoot in a library. Does anyone else think this might have been a waste of the court's time? Please tell me that I am wrong on this one, but I can't believe the guy wasn't fined for wasting time and money.

I do find interesting things on the internet when I am supposed to be studying.

No comments: